Saturday 4 October 2014

Theatre? Moi? Yes Dahling!

I have always loved the theatre, something about seeing a show performed live on stage is magical.  We have so much talent in this country it is marvellous to watch such entertainment.  BC (before children!) my mother and I were regulars at the Theatre, mainly Theatre Royal but also Sunderland Empire and we also used to travel up to Edinburgh every Christmas to catch whatever extravaganza they were showing.  Recent years have seen us in the West End of London, we have seen some fantastic productions, I have even been lucky enough to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway no less, I am still, 13 years later, hard pushed to top that one.  I have a bucket list of shows to see and I am slowly working through it.  Loved Chicago, Mary Poppins was fantastic (as was Lily Savage in Snow White), Sunset Boulevard, Miss Saigon to name a few, also Doctor Doolittle with Tommy Steele was fantastic, I have loved them all.

Then I had babies and luxuries such as this were put on hold, until now.  On our annual girls trip to London last year, my daughter Eva saw a big billboard sign for Wicked! and fate was sealed. She adores Wizard of Oz, as do I and Gramps bought us tickets to see Wicked that afternoon.  As soon as we walked into the Victoria Apollo it was fantastic, green lighting everywhere set the scene and it was like being in the Emerald City!.  The show is nearly 3 hours long and that little 4 year old girl sat transfixed for the whole show.  She loved it, I loved it and I cried, it was everything I expected and we know both know the soundtrack very well! (apologies for the photo quality, we had a camera malfunction)

 
 

I am so relieved that my daughter shares my love of the theatre and as such a mission has started.  In the North East we are so lucky to have our very own amazing theatres and now the large blockbuster musicals are frequently in town.  In the past couple of months we have made bookings for the most wonderful pantomime in the country, Snow White at the Theatre Royal, Clive Adams and Danny Webb are north east superstars, this year we are taking Luca for the first time to see how he enjoys it.  Next year, for the first half of the year, we are never far away from the smell of the greasepaint and roar of the crowd.  We will be seeing ShrekWicked (again!) The NutcrackerSingalonga FrozenThe Bodyguard and just recently booked for Annie.   Hopefully, if things go to plan, we will also be seeing Charlie and The Chocolate Factory in London at the end of next year,

Eva is accompanying me on all of them except The Bodyguard, don't think that will appeal to her.  I say, bring on next year and thank you to Theatre Royal Newcastle and the Sunderland Empire for bringing such magic to us.  Long may it continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment