Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Bodyguard

Last year when it was announced that The Bodyguard would be coming in to town, I NEEDED to see it! I have always been a massive fan of Whitney Houston and amongst millions of others, was devastated by her untimely death.
I knew it had a lot of Whitney songs in it and that was the main selling point to be honest.  I really loved the film when it came out early 1990's but have to admit to not having seen it for years (I saw it with friends at the very old Cannon cinema in West Monkseaton and cried like a baby!)

We booked for the Saturday following the opening on Thursday at what is fast becoming our second home, Theatre Royal Newcastle,  at the time I was a little unsure about Alexandra Burke playing Rachel Marron, after all, who could fill Whitney's shoes.  I had read a lot of reviews who said she was amazing it so was really looking forward to seeing how she did.

From the start with the spectacular opening of Queen of the Night, Alexandra absolutely smashed it.  Her voice is fantastic and she had no problem with hitting each note perfectly.  The entire cast were perfection from the incredibly handsome Stuart Reid as Frank Farmer and the wonderful Melissa James as Nicki, Rachel's sister.  Melissa had an outstanding voice also, she was fantastic.

The show is jam packed with Whitney's hits and I admit that I cried a lot when Rachel sang The Greatest Love of All.  

I won't spoil it for you, even if you have seen the film, you are still in for some surprises.  Remember to take along your dancing shoes if you are lucky enough to have a ticket for the show.  Our show was a sell out but at the time of writing I think there are still a few left.  If I had the chance I would watch it all over again.  Probably one of the best shows I have ever seen, when the end came we didn't want it to stop! There was a standing ovation for the cast and it couldn't even be spoilt by the drunken 'ladies' surrounding us.

Apologies for the lack of photographs, we were too busy singing/crying/watching the performance :0)

Whitney  - I will Always Love You, hope you are happy wherever you are xxx

(please note that Alexandra is not performing at midweek or Saturday matinees, Rachel is played by Zoe Birkett at these shows)

No comments:

Post a Comment